MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Thu 02 Oct, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spaz and Linux/OSX *update May 27*
PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 6:42 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

So, that thing I could not spill the beans about was the new Goo free version of Spaz. My buddy who is working with me on this project is still holding out for some of the optimization that's going to be done towards Spaz's final release. Those who are running it on their own in wine and running into the black screen issue, just switch to a console and use xgamma to correct it.

Sorry for the slow pace. Just finished testing, enrolling, etc for College. Oh, and work, etc as well xD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old news | Click to toggle: +
I can't spill the beans yet, tho there is some news that WILL have Spaz running with little effort in Wine in the weeks to come :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've finished a large part of my debugging and I can report that down the road, Spaz will run rather well on Linux and OSX. For now tho, it's been added to a batch of games for a few bug reports and we are waiting to see what will be done up stream in wine for some of the fixes.

In the mean time, if I can get some registry hacks, etc worked out for simple installation, I'll post the instructions here. How ever, for now.
I will continue working with a few buddies to do what we can to get this worked out for EVERYONE !
Will likely have to wait for some updates to wine tho.

So, I expect in the next month or so, we can have this reliably playable on Linux and OSX.

(No, this is NOT with the wine you can get from the current branches, It's my branch :p and yes, plays at full speed with proper sound :D )
Tho, I do still have the cursor bug <.<

Intro | Click to toggle: +

Create your Galaxy ! | Click to toggle: +

oops :o | Click to toggle: +

You need to build a ship | Click to toggle: +

Hanger | Click to toggle: +

Ready to build | Click to toggle: +

How does this bucket move | Click to toggle: +

Post subject: Re: Spaz and Linux/OSX
PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 7:42 pm 
Dart

Hallo, I tried running Impulse under my wine.. without succes and demo of S.P.A.Z. too without succes could you please post tutorial to the modified wine maybe on ubuntu forums or wine forums? ty.. even better would be some sort of download and tutorial in document with it :)

ps: or pm me... 8-)

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 7:55 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

tomtomp wrote:
Hallo, I tried running Impulse under my wine.. without succes and demo of S.P.A.Z. too without succes could you please post tutorial to the modified wine maybe on ubuntu forums or wine forums? ty.. even better would be some sort of download and tutorial in document with it :)

ps: or pm me... 8-)

The best I can give you currently if you insist on trying before we have it all worked out. You _can_ run the demo with out to much effort,
When you launch it and it goes full screen and just stays black. Provided you get that far, you just have to adjust the gamma so the screen displays.
man xgamma
You'll need to ^-ALT-F1 to a console to adjust the gamma.
It's not exactly playable on a consistent bases this way, just makes it display.
It has the bug_6971 among others in bugzilla

Past that, there is nothing I can do for you all __yet__, as I said in my post we are working on getting it ready as a workable set of instructions.
There are just bugs that have to be squashed first as current wine does not reproduce the correct behavior and all we have are hacks atm.
(Like I said, they don't push hacks into wine and I'm not the one who's going to be making a proper fix)
It's honestly just the start of the process. it'll take a bit of time as I said in the OP.

This was posted just to demonstrate hope and show progress as I promised to in reply to your topic.

-edit-
I certainly will get it out on the Ubuntu forums among others once we have those instructions and detailed information on versions of wine, etc !

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 8:25 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Ah, didn't realize you've gotten this far on it. Good stuff dude, looking forward to seeing a flood of Unix users (Linux and Mac).

Bug Submission
Known Bugs (Needs updating)
more as they appear...

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 6:49 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Actually, As I've been working on it, It seems it might be longer on the OSX side. Seems the openGL implementation is not up to par yet on it :/

Tho. Most of it, far as being easy to get going will depend on wrt wine 1.4 currently. Some important patches should be making it into that branch.
Past that, the commercial branch I'm using atm is looking solid, I'll be passing that by Minmax before I post details for it tho. lol
The honest goal is to get it running on both versions, the free option being the biggest hold up atm.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 9:16 pm 
Shortbus

I think I speak for a lot of the Escape Velocity fans (at least the fans from when it was Mac only), which it looks like there is a small handful around here, when I say that I look forward to a Mac version, and greatly appreciate the fact that it is being thought of.

How is distribution going to work with the Mac and Linux? I bought it from impulse for my PC at home, but I really would like to play it on my Macbook as well. Will we have to purchase the Mac version separately? As far as I know there isn't a version of impulse that runs on Macs, and knowing GameStop, there probably never will be.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 9:47 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Well, There is a possible native OSX port down the road. Tho if I get this worked out with the commercial solution and free wine, it'll run on OSX as well.
As far as if you would need to repurchase it again, that will be up to minmax, I'll give them a chance to spot this and poke em if they don't

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 3:54 am 
Dart

not to trump down on the Wine, but why make an emulation when you can make the game natively. I would love playing this game on my mac rather.

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 5:16 am 
Clockwork Personnel

tribalplague wrote:
not to trump down on the Wine, but why make an emulation when you can make the game natively. I would love playing this game on my mac rather.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_M ... 244e7109eb

On topic tho, reports of Impulse running on wine 1.39, They are not sharing tho :p

Also, from info submitted by Blorfy in the Technical section, DirectX may be enabled as an advanced option which would make getting it running on OSX possible since it lacks the OpenGL support.

I imagine as soon as we get other options I can test that are not Impulse, I'll have something user friendly up. Still just waiting to see whats done in wrt wine-1.4/CXG11 and what happens over time. Waiting game ftl.

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 2:37 pm 
Shortbus

Hey scarlet, so i have found a workaround to the black screen problem (i have to monitors so i drag the window that its running in and use the other window) but it is slow as hell were talking 1 frame per 3 seconds and i have no idea how to get is speeding up. This is for the demo by the way. thatnks for the help :)

Post subject: Re: Spaz and Linux/OSX *update May 27*
PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2011 3:53 am 
Shortbus

Looking forward to this game working on linux. Native would be awesome, but I will buy it happily with it working well in wine. Goodluck! :D

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 10:31 am 
Shortbus

Looking forward for the WINE version also, just bought the game :) I'm hoping to play it with a gamepad via mouse emulation.
Also, the problem with the gamma is easy to work around. Just start the game via script which has something like this:
Code:
sleep 3 && xgamma -gamma 1.0 &
wine SpazGame.exe
sleep 1
xgamma -gamma 1.0

Of course with the current WINE builds FPS is something like 0,5 as stated above. Good luck with the project!

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 3:43 pm 
Shortbus

Well I just up and bought the game in anticipation that I will be able to play it in the nearish future. Felt like supporting things ^_^ So looking forward to that native linux version.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 8:47 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

I updated the OP the other day, I've spouted about the xgamma thing a few times as thats the missing part most people can't seem to figure on their own or miss in their research (If any, so many lazy ppl these days :p ).

Thanks for providing more details for the lazy Minigun, I just tell ppl to man xgamma.

The FPS aspect is somewhat an issue still, tho that's indirectly related to the xgamma bug. There is hope, the TGB engine is supposed to work well, so it's just a matter of working out what the delays are caused by in the updates to rendering. etc etc blah blah.

As I stated in the OP, There will be a lot more work done public side once Spaz is closer to Final release, there are several optimizations to the code base in Spaz, such as how save files are loaded, AI, Update methods in the games main loops, and so on that are expected to be changed in code which may actually offer some improvements or just add issues to tackle. That is yet to be seen.

Basically, some stuff in the game is done in Torsion (TGB script language, which we'll be exposed to when mod support comes along likely) while other parts are done in VC++. Most gripes about things like, for example the game load time is stuff that's currently done in Torsion. Parts of the game like that are being moved to native C++ to improve performance among other things as I've heard.

It's just a waiting game I suppose. Regardless, some key stuff in wine should make it in while we wait for Spaz to mature and develop towards it's Retail version (Not the end of the games development, updates, or patches. Just out of beta :D ).

As all ways, will keep things updated and I suppose, Next update I'll try to add some dll overrides, registry settings, etc for you all to work with/tweak. I've not went as far as to fire up git and bisect or anything yet. o.o;

OH, be sure that if you do get SPaz with the intent to try using it in Wine, to get the BMT Micro version or in a nut shell, AVOID the impulse version <.<

Nothing against impulse, just that client and wine... <.<
Ya know :p

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2011 1:40 pm 
Shortbus

I'm looking forward to it. I'll buy the game as soon as it runs reliably in Wine!

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2011 9:53 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Ya, Pretty much looks like we have a date for version 1.0 now as well.

So, mid Aug everyone can expect to have some more detailed info out about the prospects of it running playable in wine ^.^
Should have some patches into wine as well by then, I imagine :D

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 3:51 am 
Clockwork Personnel

Gamma fix is in current main wine branch now.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2011 2:46 pm 
Shortbus

Do you think it will be fixed for tomorrow? :o

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:22 pm 
Shortbus

It works nicely on Mac OSX Lion with Parallels Desktop 6. Played tutorial of version 1.00 fine. Good that you guys stuck to non-cutting edge libraries and still made a superb game. :)

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2011 4:03 am 
Clockwork Personnel

"hehe.... accidentally totally nuked the macos install...but... debian is installing ; I've concluded macosx is for people with ... with .... (I'll let you know on that one =)"

As quoted from my OSX 10.7/6/5 Tester.
Infer the rest.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2011 1:29 pm 
Shortbus

scarletmadness wrote:
"hehe.... accidentally totally nuked the macos install...but... debian is installing ; I've concluded macosx is for people with ... with .... (I'll let you know on that one =)"

As quoted from my OSX 10.7/6/5 Tester.
Infer the rest.

Not sure what to infer except that he nuked his mac osx playing with wine? =)

Edit: And I wonder why he's responsible for testing on osx if he has such strong opinion against PEOPLE using osx as opposed to being just against the OS? And it makes me wonder what machine he's using to test osx compatibility on =) since I suppose he's not one of those "people" with macosx.

Edit: Anyway, I'm glad it works with Parallels Desktop 6 on Lion (10.7). And kudos on a great release.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 5:07 am 
Shortbus

Hey, just thought I'd throw my $.02 into here. I just got SPAZ on Steam after trying the demo on my PC box. I rarely use that though, and most of my time is spent on my laptop, which is ubuntu linux for work reasons.

I've got steam running perfectly through wine, so I don't have to worry about problems with it like Impulse.

Spaz starts up fine except for the gamma problem. Launching it with a gamma-correction script doesn't always seem to work either; I think steam adds a few seconds to its launch time or something. However, I just made a secondary script that does the gamma correction only without launching spaz, and I can see fine if I call it after starting spaz up.

Gets through the loading screens fine, but the framerate goes down to nothing once the main menu hits.

I'm not really familiar with how wine's code works, so I've not started playing around with looking for what's causing it. I admit I'm more of a script kiddie than a developer, at least as far as wine is concerned.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 11:11 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Quote:
winebug #24598 was closed as fixed after myself and 2 others pounded it, so spaz should be good in wine now...

Yet to be confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 1:23 am 
Shortbus

thats just the easily fixed gamma bug though, if I'm reading bugzilla right. The real problem's the low framerate.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 9:37 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

The frame rate issues are still being poked atm, Largely it varies a lot computer to computer based on hardware/driver combinations. ATI's seem to have some serious performance issues with it's OpenGL, etc.

We'll see. Just takes time.