MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Wed 27 Aug, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: X: Rebirth
PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 6:07 am 
Turtle head

According to this RPS post it's going to increase the scope of the game a bit. Actually able to walk around inside capital ships and such now. Sure sounds cool - though if I've read anything about X games, it's that they typically need a mix of official and fan patches to truly reach their potential.

The X games are one of those series I know I'd probably like if I got into them, but never sat down to learn. I do have a copy of Terran Conflict sitting around on my hard drive, but it scared me a bit the first time I tried to learn to play. Not nearly as welcoming as 2D SPAZ. :)

Post subject: Re: X: Rebirth
PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 9:34 pm 
Shortbus

Hint: Press J. You'll headdesk so hard when you realize that you can speed up time to get to where you need to.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 5:03 am 
Scout

Yes, SETA is your friend in the X series.
Set it to 10x and turn 1 hour voyages into 6 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 5:41 am 
Volley

Hyperiant wrote:
Hint: Press J. You'll headdesk so hard when you realize that you can speed up time to get to where you need to.

Hahaha, that reminds me of when I first played X3: Reunion. After a week of learning the game, I finally discovered SETA. I was only just kinda sorta starting to get bored of slowly crawling around from gate to gate :lol:

And while I love the X series, it always bugged me that you got crappy performance if you weren't running it on a NASA supercomputer.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 6:49 pm 
Shortbus

FDru wrote:
Hahaha, that reminds me of when I first played X3: Reunion. After a week of learning the game, I finally discovered SETA. I was only just kinda sorta starting to get bored of slowly crawling around from gate to gate :lol:

And while I love the X series, it always bugged me that you got crappy performance if you weren't running it on a NASA supercomputer.

Oh? I get good framerates on my Pentium 4. Think about that for a minute.

PENTIUM FOUR.

It's mostly video card-related. If you're getting bad performance, odds are that you need to upgrade your video card. Terran Conflict can give me some trouble (especially when SETA x10 kicks in) but Reunion runs like a dream even on the highest graphics.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 8:18 pm 
Shortbus

I'ce played every X game there was. Yes I remember the Eye graphic when X Beyong the frontier came out. And sadly what I've been hearing about Rebirth is not making me happy. For instance, you are in a modular ship that you can alter to do missions, but you always have the same ship all the way through, and you cant leave it. Thats strikes me as very Darkstar 1 like. (I mean I liked Darkstar one, but this is an X game. people were screaming that they wanted to fly other ships when XBTF came out) Plus they are setting it in the X universe again, which to me is really lazy. I mean, I love fooling around the X universe, but cant they come up with a new setting for a relaunch of the series?

Little things like that.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:39 pm 
Turtle head

Suranis wrote:
For instance, you are in a modular ship that you can alter to do missions, but you always have the same ship all the way through, and you cant leave it.

You can still fly "drones" out of that ship, so it sounds like the main thing that's actually changing is that that one ship is going to be the largest you can fly.