MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Fri 01 Aug, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting more goons?
PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 5:11 am 
Shortbus

Is there anyway to 'drop off' crew? I always get max on crew about half way through the battle and the rest of those pods go to waste.

Post subject: Re: Getting more goons?
PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 5:15 am 
Volley

Sadly, there isn't.

You can repair a ship to send all the crew back to your supply, but it'll be refilled up to whatever amount you specified and you have to wait for it to be rebuilt (which I find usually takes too long).

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 5:57 am 
Shortbus

Setting crew levels to 0 and repairing is the only way to drop off crew. If you are farming goons during a Civ vs UTA battle where both sides are neutral to you, or a Cheap Motel mission, use small ships with high crew capacity as they repair faster. Cycle to the next ship and keep collecting so the repairing ship will rejoin your fleet when ready.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 8:27 am 
Boomerang

As far as I can tell there is no difference in repair, build or refit times between any ship class, same goes for warping time.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 8:29 am 
Scout

Toxicologist wrote:
As far as I can tell there is no difference in repair, build or refit times between any ship class, same goes for warping time.

Though perhaps we want there to be in the future? Maybe the devs will notice this post because I think it would be nice to repair faster or at least be able to drop off goons faster in the future...

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 9:53 am 
Ranger

BADBL00D wrote:
...a Cheap Motel mission, use small ships with high crew capacity as they repair faster. Cycle to the next ship and keep collecting so the repairing ship will rejoin your fleet when ready.

Alternatively, a Big Bus, with two tractors and a bunch of crew modules (add a few engine modules, to get to the station faster) can pick up most of the pods in a Cheap Hotel mission, without much need for repairing mid-mission. That said, more tractors and crew modules on your smaller (high crew cap) ships will increase the chance of grabbing more.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 1:42 pm 
Dart

BADBL00D wrote:
Setting crew levels to 0 and repairing is the only way to drop off crew. If you are farming goons during a Civ vs UTA battle where both sides are neutral to you, or a Cheap Motel mission, use small ships with high crew capacity as they repair faster. Cycle to the next ship and keep collecting so the repairing ship will rejoin your fleet when ready.

Thanks, your advice worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 4:50 pm 
Scout

Alternatively if you are in desperate need of goons and don't mind a bit of rez farming you can buy some from friendly civ colonies. I think their price depends on your standing with them, the better the cheaper. You can buy some data the same way from research colonies and trade goons for rez in mining ones.

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 8:20 pm 
Volley

The price is random and seems to be determined on galaxy creation. There's no way to change it. It's a really good idea to buff up high level civ stations to 3/3 if they offer a really good price on crew (or anything else) because it increases their capacity by a lot. You can almost set up a trade network if you find a few of these.

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 7:30 pm 
Scout

FDru wrote:
The price is random and seems to be determined on galaxy creation. There's no way to change it. It's a really good idea to buff up high level civ stations to 3/3 if they offer a really good price on crew (or anything else) because it increases their capacity by a lot. You can almost set up a trade network if you find a few of these.

How do you buff up stations? Is that later in the game? I'm in chapter 3 and it seems to be completely random what level stations are at...

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 7:33 pm 
Scout

Some (rare) missions improve the station sizes.

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 7:39 pm 
Scout

hoho wrote:
Some (rare) missions improve the station sizes.

You see? It's things like this where you wish that the spawn rate of missions were much higher, rather than having to jump around aimlessly hoping that a better mission comes up... maybe that will be a bug fix in later patches? Hopefully...

Though, do you think that would take away from the game? I would like to be friends with both factions, but I do kind of appreciate it when a faction is at "enemy" or "hate" status because it means that I can ruthlessly destroy them over and over again, though there may not be any farming...

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 12:49 am 
Volley

You aren't supposed to be friends with both factions. You can sometimes, but a lot of times it's just more convenient to smash and grab. You're space pirates, remember?

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 1:31 am 
Ranger

I definitely see your point FDru, and in the context of the game, having multiple places to safely mine and farm for goons can make the game more manageable. Even pirates seek safe harbor when the seas turn from smooth to craptacular, so to speak. That said, it's also well within the realm of sneaky pirate behavior to sit on the sidelines while mutual enemies weaken each other, and then swoop in to collect the loot and goons. Is it convenient? Well, that's subjective, and up to individual players to decide for themselves.

Having both sides friendly allows for either a passive or aggressive approach, and both approaches are viable, to some degree. I use both, depending on faction strengths, tech levels, and the resources I have available.