MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looks like you've got some competition
PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 4:00 pm 
Shortbus

Just saw this on Reddit, slightly different, but I'd recommend taking a good look at their UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWakBlT ... ture=feedu

Post subject: Re: Looks like you've got some competition
PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 4:22 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

the ui wouldnt fit with SPAZ imo, but it looks pretty good

a bit more BSG rather then ehm....yeah whats the closest thing to spaz's art style :S?

Please read the Forum guidelines before posting
Anything related to the forum dont hesitate to PM or e-mail me

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 4:26 pm 
Shortbus

I find SPAZ' art style for the UI to be inconsistent with the ship/space art. The bright and colorful buttons and icons just don't fit well, while the game is humorous it's not outright slapstick. Also much of the UI that isn't text just feels "muddy" I guess is how I'd describe it, like it could be sharper.

If it'd be helpful I could take a closer look and take screenshots of exactly what I'm talking about.

To be more specific about the inconsistency, the UI seems to break the fourth wall, it's so disconnected from the style of the rest of the game it breaks my immersion.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 6:54 pm 
Clockwork Personnel

Thats a very different style game imo, Tho it does look nice. I could see myself playing that one day.
For now tho, I have spaz :D

-edit-
First time I've seen the game it's self, looking at that video. I recall hearing about that. They would have to reconsider that flux game mechanic imo. So much whining about it, and it does seem to really botch the enjoyment of the game play.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 12:07 am 
Dart

scarletmadness wrote:
Thats a very different style game imo, Tho it does look nice. I could see myself playing that one day.
For now tho, I have spaz :D

-edit-
First time I've seen the game it's self, looking at that video. I recall hearing about that. They would have to reconsider that flux game mechanic imo. So much whining about it, and it does seem to really botch the enjoyment of the game play.

I wouldn't call it competition (I bought both), the market for good top down space sims/rpgs is pretty dry so I'm sure there is room for both with plenty of room to spare. I've been desperate for some good space action.

P.S. Any others out there? This is important, I must know! (anything other than Transcendence pls)

edit: Isn't the capacitor mechanic in SPAZ kind of similar to the flux in Starfarer? It prevents you from firing guns and affects shield recharge. It's not as drastic but not as far removed as you might think?

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 12:07 pm 
Shortbus

I've been playing this game, and it's pretty great just in a very different way to SPAZ.

In the future I do believe they plan to have a main campaign similar to SPAZ, though. Open world (Universe?) sandbox style.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 12:34 pm 
Dart

Quote:
edit: Isn't the capacitor mechanic in SPAZ kind of similar to the flux in Starfarer? It prevents you from firing guns and affects shield recharge. It's not as drastic but not as far removed as you might think?

According to the devs, flux is based on the heat mechanic of Battletech, with a slight twist: Energy guns put out more damage the higher your flux is. Until your ship shuts down, that is.

Capacitor just struck me as an "ammo limitation", since running out of cap merely means no more shooting. It's rather similar to Flatspace in that regard.

-B.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 3:23 pm 
Dart

I also bought and played both. SPAZ is definitely more polished and has more content at this point being in beta as compared to Starfarers alpha. SPAZ is basically an action rpg in space - level up/get loot/get ships/level research and and then just fly around and blow stuff up. So far it is fun, but I honestly don't see myself playing it over and over unless they add a lot more content like ships, weapons, missions etc. It's nice that the galaxy is randomly generated but honestly seems like the only difference between galaxies is which ships and weapons you get early on. To me SPAZ basically feels like space rangers 2 but with way less content and/or interesting things to do. Hopefully by the time the game is finished it will be a more varied experience then what it currently offers. I understand it's still in beta so I do know more will be added later.

Spacefarer seems to going for a more sophisticated/tactical type of combat with more emphasis on controlling a big fleet and making more decisions in combat. The alpha just has a basic tutorial and 6 different mission scenarios to fool around with. The game play seems pretty decent so far and I find the ship designs and weapon options to be a lot more interesting then the ones found in SPAZ. Even just playing the alpha missions and reading up on the website it seems like when it is finished it will end up with a much deeper combat and playing experience then SPAZ. Also spacefarer have already released some stuff for modders to fool around with and even a basic tutorial on modding the game which is really nice.

I really like 2d space games like these and don't really see these as competing games. They both offer different experiences depending on what you are in the mood for and picking them up in these pre-release stages is a pretty good bargain imo. Already had a ton of fun with SPAZ so far, and for 10 bucks Spacefarer has more then enough potential even in the alpha release to justify me buying it now.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 3:13 am 
Shortbus

Spacefarer seems more like a realtime gratuitous space battles where as frostbite said, SPAZ is more like space rangers 2 or a greatly expanded starscape.

TBH the more space games that get made the happier I am, especially more like this.

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 8:08 pm 
Shortbus

I agree with the remark above about SPAZ's UI style clashing somewhat with the game's overall atmosphere.

Something like portal 2's menu system would fit better. Bright monochrome, very tactile.

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2011 2:54 am 
Dart

The UI doesn't really bother me. I do, however, think that SPAZ really needs a much better sense of exploration and not knowing what you're going to find in the next system than it has now. Right now, every system seems to be pretty much the same drill over and over. We need a much larger variety of random events that can happen to you, and new things to find that may or may not show up in any given game. Something to make it less of a grind and more of an adventure, wondering what you'll run into next. More factions might help as well. Having just the same two in every system gets a bit old.

I'm still on my first play-through right now. I'll write up a full posting of my impressions when I get done.