MinMax Spaz

MinMax-Games.com

The water cooler of outer space

It is currently Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SPAZ cost
PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:39 pm 
Gyro

I just thought I'd point out that there are 9 different sites where I can buy this game that are linked to from spaz.com. Well 8, because one doesn't sell to the UK.
Anyway, my point is - the single most expensive of those 8 sites is actually to buy it direct from you folks! The typical price is about £6.50, up to about £7.50, which includes the VAT. To get it from minimax directly it's £8.99 all in.
I'm the sort of person who likes to directly support the developer, but when you're 50% more expensive and no-one is around to take a cut (well, except bmt I guess) I'm not really sure you've priced your version right.

Post subject: Re: SPAZ cost
PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:28 pm 
Hound

Maybe it was originally priced that way back a year and a half ago when the exchange rate was different that 15 dollars canadian converted to 8.99 euros.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:28 am 
Gyro

Interesting idea but doesn't look like it from this site: http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/
The CDN to GBP 18 months ago was around 0.6128 (so 15CDN = £9.19), today it stands at around 0.6346 (15CDN = £9.51). In fact these two exchange rates have been quite stable compared to each other if you throw in the EUR and USD which have been more volatile by the looks of it.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:37 pm 
Hound

So in other words you are getting it as a steal from minmax. Or anywhere else for that purpose.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 6:25 pm 
Gyro

No.
The prices those providers are charging are going to be ones that MiniMax agreed to. Given the FAQ on this forum is a year out of date, I can't say I'm surprised they've not updated their own price to reflect the reduced price the other suppliers are charging.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2012 1:04 am 
Hound

Wouldn't it simply be better for you then to pay in Canadian dollars than in Euros? Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2012 5:44 pm 
Gyro

Only one of the sites gave me a price in $ (don't know if it was CDN) - that one wouldn't let me buy it because of region locking. Also, you're missing the point: that would be more expensive than in GBP. The most expensive site of all of them is direct from MiniMax.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 3:10 am 
Hound

I just checked the price at it is 9.99 Canadian dollars if you buy direct from MinMax. Also a word of note... not everyone prices their products the same way. Go to the super market sometime and find a product and check another super market and see if they are exactly the same price

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 5:20 pm 
Dart

I fail to understand why you are arguing his point. Comparatively, the developers direct purchase costs more than any other outlet they sell through. This is a measurable fact and cannot be refuted.

That being said:

OP, the problem here is that any other distributor has a network already in place. Their overhead is spread across all titles they sell, where MinMax has only this one game. That's why they can't sell it that cheap themselves, and places such as Steam can offer it to you cheaper. I understand your point, wanting to know the majority of your money went to the people who actually made the game. Keep in mind though that they should still get their revenue, no matter where you purchase it from :)